Monday, June 14, 2010

The First Post!

I'm flying to Dublin tonight! I'll be arriving in the morning, and tomorrow afternoon I'm going on a walking tour at the James Joyce Centre called "In the Footsteps of Leopold Bloom" as part of the Bloomsday Festival.

Wednesday is Bloomsday! For those of you not familiar with Ulysses, it is an epic novel written by James Joyce which follows the journey of a man named Leopold Bloom on one day in Dublin, June 16th 1904. Every June 16th, the whole city of Dublin hosts Bloomsday, a celebration of Joyce's Ulysses. There will be many festivities, including tours, talks, singing and dancing, etc. If you're interested, you can read more about the festival programme at this address:

http://www.jamesjoyce.ie/detail.asp?ID=137

Wednesday should be a crazy day! In addition to the tour and other festivities in the afternoon, I'm hoping to attend a lecture on Finnegans Wake in the evening.

More to follow once I arrive...!

4 comments:

  1. Pictures - remember, blog posts with visual aids are so much more compelling, engaging and just plain fun! Have the best trip evah, young Jedi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben, it's Mom. I have a lasting image of you standing outside Newark airport (thanks Dave for the suggestion) looking so happy to be on your way. I know it sounds vicarious but I am thrilled too......cannot wait to hear about the travel adventures, the great people you will meet, all that you will learn about literature, theater and culture & the experiences that will be forever memorable. Enjoy and we'll speak soon! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so where's the picture of Ben at the airport?

    And yeah, Ben, see what happens when you make a blog and tell family about it - they go and ruin the whole thing by typing in comments! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, how exciting! It really is green and lush. You look so happy which is the best part. I am sitting in the living room with my friend Barbara and we just looked at the photos. She said now she wants to go to Ireland, more than ever (me too). By then, you can be our guide. Enjoy Blooms Day!!!! Much love! Mom.

    ReplyDelete